Fluorescent lamps are distinctively recognisable by their long, tubular shape and their ability to produce bright, cool-white illumination through the process of fluorescence. Fluorescent lighting is being phased out in Singapore, as well as the rest of the world, in favour of LEDs for several reasons.
It’s crucial to understand the responsible disposal of these lamps, as they contain hazardous materials, primarily mercury, that can be harmful to both human health and the environment if not handled correctly. Care should be taken when handling lamps, as mercury is released when a lamp is broken.
Singapore is witnessing a growing demand for environmentally sustainable practices as part of its ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) framework. Responsible disposal of fluorescent tubes is directly relevant to the waste management aspect of the ESG.
In this guide, we’ll provide safe and sustainable options for fluorescent disposal.
Option 1: Self Disposal
Disposal of fluorescent lamps includes careful planning, packing, and drop-off at a certified E-Waste collection point in Singapore. Be very careful to avoid breakage, as a broken lamp releases toxic fumes into the air.
Option 2: Enlist the Help of Lim Kim Hai Electric
LED Replacements for Outdated Fluorescent Lamps
Lim Kim Hai Electric is a proud partner of Philips, providing our customers with the top LED retrofitting solutions to replace outdated fluorescent lamps.
Ultra Efficient T8
- Saves up to 70% in energy costs compared to fluorescent tubes
- Ultra long lifetime of 100,000 hours
- Less than 6 months payback time when upgrading from fluorescent tubes
- 5-year warranty
Master LEDtube T8
- Uniform light effect
- Robust construction
- Fits in well with conventional technology
- Fast and easy installation
- High level energy efficiency
Master LEDtube Mains T5
- Reduced operational cost thanks to lower energy consumption
- Lower maintenance cost thanks to longer lifetime than conventional lamps
- Fastest and easiest way to upgrade existing luminaires to LED technology; completely safe product and installation process
- Long lifetime
- No mercury
- Energy savings compared with fluorescent tubes